Since I had so many requests for the sources I used for my presentation at the 2011 Retirement Income Symposium in Boston this week, I have provided them here.
Red Pill Retirement Planning
October 17, 2011
Robert P. Seawright
- Babbel & Merrill, “Rational Decumulation” (Wharton Financial Institutions Center 2007).
- Munnell, “Social Security’s Financial Outlook: The 2011 Update in Perspective” (Center for Retirement Research 2011).
- Retirement Fitness Survey from Wells Fargo & Company (6th annual 2010).
- Munnell & Quinby, “Pension Coverage and Retirement Security” (Center for Retirement Research at Boston College 2009).
- National Retirement Risk Index (Center for Retirement Research at Boston College 2010).
- “America’s looming retirement crisis,” MSN Money (May 27, 2009).
- “Strategies for Coping After Retiring Into a Bear Market,” (T. Rowe Price Research 2008).
- Milevsky, The Calculus of Retirement Income (Cambridge University Press 2006).
- Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 2011).
- Ibbotson, Xiong, Kreitler, Kreitler & Chen, “National Savings Rate Guidelines for Individuals” (FPA Journal 2007).
- Laura, “Million-Dollar 401(k): Fantasy Or Reality?” (Forbes September 20, 2011).
- 2011 Retirement Confidence Survey (Employee Benefit Research Institute 2011).
- Cooley, Hubbard and Walz, “Retirement Savings: Choosing a Withdrawal Rate That Is Sustainable.” AAII Journal 10, 3: 16–21 (1998).
- Pfau, “Safe Savings Rates: A New Approach to Retirement Planning over the Life Cycle,” Journal of Financial Planning (May 2011).
- Pfau, “Can We Predict the Sustainable Withdrawal Rate for New Retirees?” (Journal of Financial Planning August 2011).
- Athavale & Goebel, “A Safer Safe Withdrawal Rate Using Various Return Distributions” (Journal of Financial Planning July 2011).
- Allianz Research; “Reclaiming the Future” (2010).
- “The NRRI and Annuities,” (Center for Retirement Research at Boston College 2010).
- Live Q&A Session with Secretary Solis (December 7, 2009).
- United States Government Accountability Office (April 28, 2010).
- Brown, “Life Annuities and Uncertain Lifetimes” National Bureau of Economic Research, (NBER Reporter Spring 2004).
- Thaler, “The Annuity Puzzle,” The New York Times ((June 4, 2011).
- Babbel, “Lifetime Income for Women: A Financial Economist’s Perspective,” (Wharton Financial Institutions Center 2008).
- Ameriks, Veres & Warshawsky, “Making Retirement Income Last a Lifetime,” Journal of Financial Planning (December 2001).
- EBRI Policy Forum #64: Decumulation/Retirement Income in DC Plans (2009).
- Correia, “Guaranteed Income Investments Help Keep Retirees in the Market: Survey” (Financial Planning September 23, 2011).
- Ernst & Young, “Retirement Vulnerability of New Retirees,” Americans for Secure Retirement (July 2008).
- Downs, “Great White Shark Photographed in Encinitas” (San Diego Union Tribune September 1, 2011).